ADAMS, (Harry) Percy

1865 - 1930

Born at Ipswich on 26 October 1865, son of Webster Adams (1840-1900), surgeon of Ipswich, and his wife Alice née Heal (1840-1848), and grandson of John Harris Heal (1811-1876), bedding manufacturer, of Church End, Finchley, with whom he was living in 1871. Educated at Gould House, Dedham, Essex and articled to Britwen Binyon (1846-1909) architect, then of Ipswich. A member and exhibitor at Ipswich Fine Art Club 1887-1888 of Fore Street, Ipswich when he exhibited in 1883 also exhibiting in 1886 a watercolour ‘Old Windmill’ and two monochrome sketches ‘St. Martin’s church, Cologne’ and ‘Tomb of Sir Walter Scott.’ Architectural artist exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1888 and who specialised in the planning of hospitals. He built the King Edward VII Sanatorium at Midhurst and his firm, Adams, Holden & Pearson, were responsible for the Underground Railway offices at St James' Park, the sculptures on this imposing building, by Epstein, Eric Gill and other artists, created something of a sensation when they were disclosed in 1929 and for this building the firm was awarded the RIBA London Architecture Medal for that year. He married at Ipswich on 22 May 1890, Cecilia Clara Staddon, who died at St. Pancras, London early the following year, aged 22 and secondly on 10 February 1898, another Suffolk girl, 23 year old Alice Mildred Fulcher, the former wife of James Francis Mathieson, who married in 1894 and divorced in 1897. They moved to 28 Woburn Place, Bloomsbury, but he retained offices at Tower Street, Ipswich. He died in London in 1930, aged 64 leaving three children Percy Webster, Basil Mallandaine and Kathleen Mildred. The Records of the Heal Family (Privately Printed & Published (75 copies only), 1932).