BINYON, Brightwen

1846 - 1905

Brightwen Binyon

Born at Headley Grange, Victoria Park, Manchester 30 May 1846, son of Edward Binyon (1791-1855), a sugar refiner & tea dealer, and his wife Jane née Brightwen (1805-1890). Educated at Friends School at Kendal under Mr Thompson and trained as an architect 1863-1871 under Alfred Waterhouse, gaining membership of the RIBA. He then travelled on the continent after which he came to Ipswich. Living with his mother at 43 Fonnereau Road, Ipswich in 1874. He married at Darlington on 18 September 1879, Rachel Mary Cudworth (1853-1949) of Darlington after which they lived at 5 Henley Road, Ipswich with an architect’s office at 36 Princes Street, Ipswich. He had many commissions in Suffolk including the Corn Exchange, Ipswichthe Board School in Bramford Road, Ipswich and the Concert Pavilion, Felixstowe. A member of Ipswich Fine Art Club 1875-1903 and an exhibitor 1881-85 also exhibiting at the Royal Academy 1887-1895. About 1892 he moved to ‘The Cedars’, Anglesea Road, Ipswich and, after being in practice for over 25 years, retired in 1897. He died at Bushey, Herfordshire on 21 September 1905. They had four children including Basil Binyon (1885-1947) the well-known electrical engineer and Mary Sims Binyon (1882-1976) the artist & modeller and his grandson was Sir Bernard Fielden (1919-2008) the conservation architect.